The Center for US Voters Abroad is an independent nonprofit not affiliated with the government or any political party. Our mission is to help Americans living or traveling abroad participate in US elections and our funding comes from a mix of foundations and individual donors who share that goal.

Americans living abroad can request their ballots with an official government form, called the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). This website will walk you through the process and fill that form out for you, then help you send it on to the correct county election official to process it.

American citizens over 18 who will be abroad during an election–whether temporarily or permanently–are eligible to vote by absentee ballot. American citizens who were born abroad and have never resided in the U.S. may also be eligible to vote absentee depending on the state they are trying to vote in. Consult this Federal Voting Assistance Program list to review eligibility by state.

To request your ballot you will need to indicate a “voting residence” to determine which offices and candidates you are eligible to vote for. Your voting address is the address of your last domicile, or the place you considered your permanent “home” in the U.S., before you moved abroad. Choosing a state in which to vote is not the same as claiming residency.  For more information on choosing your voting address, refer to this Federal Voting Assistance Program guide.