Effective Date: February 1, 2024
Center for U.S. Voters Abroad is a nonpartisan voter registration and overseas ballot request service available to all eligible United States citizens and military voters. We will not withhold or refuse to provide our services to anyone on the basis of support for or opposition to particular candidates, or on the basis of party affiliation (or non-party affiliation). We want you to exercise your right to vote as an American citizen regardless of your party affiliation or lack thereof. We will only ask about your party affiliation (i) to complete your voter registration or ballot request materials to the extent required by state law or (ii) as a part of an optional survey to better understand the needs and characteristics of overseas voters.
Center for U.S. Voters Abroad collects personally identifiable information from you, which may include your name, U.S. citizenship status, information on whether you are residing overseas temporarily, indefinitely, etc., email address, telephone number, date of birth, residential address abroad, voting address in the U.S. and any other additional information that you choose to provide. This information is collected and stored electronically when you use our services to register to vote or request your ballot or when you contact us.
Information Collected Automatically
In addition, information about your computer hardware and software is automatically collected by Center for U.S. Voters Abroad when you use the Site. This information may include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times, referring website addresses and other technical information such as protocol status and substatus, bytes sent and received, and server information. We may also collect information about how you interact with the Site. This information is used by us for our business purposes, including for the operation and improvement of the Site, for technical troubleshooting, to maintain quality of the Site and to provide general statistics regarding use of the Site.
Cookies and Other Information Collection Tools
What are cookies? A cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website or use an online service. When you visit the website or use the service again, the cookie allows that website or online service to recognize your browser or device. Cookies may store unique identifiers, user preferences and other information.
Duration of Cookies. We may use “session cookies” or “persistent cookies.” Session cookies are temporary and expire once you close your browser or once your session ends. Persistent cookies remain on your device for much longer or until you or your browser erase them. Persistent cookies have varying durations that are dependent on their expiration date.
How do I control cookies? Web browsers allow some control of most cookies through the browser settings. To find out more about cookies, including how to manage and delete cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Some web browsers provide settings that allow a user to reject cookies or to alert a user when a cookie is placed on the user’s computer, tablet or mobile device. Most mobile devices also offer settings to reject mobile device identifiers. Although users are not required to accept cookies or mobile device identifiers, blocking or rejecting them may prevent access to some features available through the Site.
How Information is Used
We may use the information we collect for any of the following purposes:
- To provide, operate and manage our Site and services;
- To perform services requested by you, such as preparing and submitting your voting materials, responding to your comments, questions, and requests, and providing any related support services;
- To improve our Site and services, and to give each user a more consistent and personalized experience when interacting with us;
- To provide you with information about products and services that we and other organizations and businesses may provide that we think may be of interest to you;
- For security, to detect fraud or illegal activities, and for archival and backup purposes in connection with the provision of the Site;
- To monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities; and
- To comply with our legal obligations and exercise our legal rights.
Sharing of Information
- To Prepare and/or Submit your Voter Registration or Ballot Request Materials. We share your personal information as necessary to prepare and/or submit your voter registration or ballot request materials through the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- With Third Party Service Providers Performing Services on Our Behalf. We share your personal information with our service providers to perform the functions for which we engage them. For example, we may use third parties to host the Site or assist us in providing functionality on the Site and provide analytics on the Site.
- For Legal Purposes. We also may share information that we collect from users as needed to enforce our rights, protect our property or protect the rights, property or safety of others, or as needed to support external auditing, compliance and corporate governance functions. We may also share personal information as required to pursue available remedies or limit damages we may sustain. We will disclose personal information without your knowledge or consent as to respond to a subpoena, regulation, binding order of a data protection agency, legal process, governmental request or other legal or regulatory process.
- Changes of Control. We may transfer or assign information, including your personal information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, liquidation, change in control or other sale by or of us or any affiliated entity (in each case whether in whole or in part).
Center for U.S. Voters Abroad does not share your personal information with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
Links to External Websites
Security Used & Retention of Personal Information
Center for U.S. Voters Abroad uses reasonable security measures designed to safeguard against unauthorized intrusion to the Site and the alteration, acquisition or misuse of personal information. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information and to help ensure that your data is safe and secure. However, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Questions / Contact Us” section below. We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected, or as required by applicable laws or regulation.
Under Nevada law, Center for U.S. Voters Abroad does not sell your personal information. However, if you are a Nevada resident, you may submit a request that we not sell any personal information we have collected about you by contacting as indicated in the “Questions / Contact Us” section below.
We do not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from any person under the age of thirteen. No parts of our Site are directed to or designed to attract anyone under the age of thirteen.
How to Access, Correct, or Update Your Information
You can access or modify your information and modify your preferences by contacting us as indicated in the “Questions / Contact Us” section below.
If you are receiving text messages from us and wish to stop receiving them, simply respond with either “STOP” or “UNSUBSCRIBE” to the number from which you received the message. Once we receive your message, you will no longer receive further text messages from us.
Questions / Contact Us
Notification of Changes